What is a Bible Dictionary?
A Bible Dictionary (or Bible Encyclopedia) provides important facts and background information regarding a biblical topic. Depending on the particluar dictionary, entries contain information about:
- people (Abraham, Mary, Paul)
- places (Jerusalem, Ephesus)
- events (destruction of the temple, Jerusalem Council)
- topics (persecution, family, hospitality)
- books of the Bible (1 Peter, Galatians)
- theological concepts (atonement, sanctification)
Theological Dictionaries: Focus on the theological meaning of concepts and words from the Bible. Sometimes entries are listed in Greek or Hebrew. You can use a Strong's Concordance or Interlinear Bible to identify the word if you do not know the original language.