Jackson Library is pleased to provide seven research carrels to facilitate scholarly research and special projects involving library materials. To ensure the widest access, use of these carrels will be guided by the following procedures.
Assignment of Carrels
1. Application forms are available at the Library Circulation Desk and under Forms.
2. Carrel assignment is determined by IWU Library staff.
3. Priority of carrel assignment
E. IWU campus staff working on a IWU-related project.
Length of Reservation Period
1. Carrels may be reserved for up to one semester.
2. Requests for extension of carrel use will be evaluated based on:
C. Adherence to carrel use procedures
Keys to Carrels
1. When an applicant is approved, he/she signs a Research Carrel Agreement and is given a key to the carrel door and file cabinet.
2. The Library retains a master key to each carrel and file but no duplicate keys.
3. If a key is lost, a nonrefundable fee of $10.00 is assessed for replacement, as well as any charges related to lock replacement.
Library Materials in Carrels
1. Periodicals and reference books are not to be left in the carrel.
2. Other library materials kept in the carrel are to be properly checked out.
Items not checked out will be returned to their place in the collection.
4. The Library is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage to material left in a carrel, including Jackson Library material.
1. Beverages are allowed in carrels if they are in spill-proof containers. Food is not allowed in carrels.
2. Carrels are not soundproof. When listening to a laptop, CD player, etc., headphones must be used.
3. Cell phones should be muted or turned off in the Library and in research carrels.
4. Given the size of each research carrel, there is insufficient room for additional furniture.
5. Only one person should be in a carrel at any time.
6. Carrels are cleaned by housekeeping staff once each week.
7. Carrel doors should be closed when in use.
8. Carrels should be locked when not in use.